Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

8 Sentence Sunday



Thanks for stopping by to check out my writing! This week I am bringing you my current WIP. It is from a book that I titled, "The Willow". Today's excerpt is a part of the Weekend Writing Warriors meme (also known as 8 Sentence Sunday). 
www_tiny
In this scene, Juliana is on the way to meet her best friend, Amelia, at a small cafe. Along the way, she is thinking about her life and the obstacles she faces.



     Being home to over 750,000 people, I discovered that getting lost inside of a big city such as Charlotte was nearly effortless. Lost was precisely what I wanted to be; far away from all of the enthusiastic couples on the street holding hands as they prepared for tonight. I couldn't help but question whether or not their smiles were real. Will they go home and argue? Maybe they were keeping secrets from the rest of the world that they hoped no one would find out. Were they like me? Why couldn't I be as fortunate as they seemed to be? Why couldn't I be normal?


Again, thank you for stopping by. Your support is greatly appreciated.
- Ashley E. Perry


14 comments:

  1. You wring a lot of emotion out of just a few sentences. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing conveyed a lot of emotion as the previous comment said. You left me wondering and intrigued! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good description of being in a strange city and wishing that someone really special was with you. Everyone else looks so happy but wonder what is really on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I feel for your heroine already - very effective excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this last week? Great snippet. I feel her sense of disillusionment.

    History Sleuth's Milk Carton Murders

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Why couldn't I be normal?" seems to be my favorite question as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So emotional. I love the wondering if all these people are really as happy as they seem, and wondering why she couldn't just be "normal" - whatever that means to her.

    ReplyDelete