Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

8 Sentence Sunday


Thanks for stopping by to check out my writing! This week I am bringing you my current WIP. It is from a book that I titled, "The Willow". Today's excerpt is a part of the Weekend Writing Warriors meme (also known as 8 Sentence Sunday). 
www_tiny
 In this scene, Juliana wakes up in a stranger's house.


     Outside of the room, I could hear the muffled sounds of someone talking. I sat up on the bunk attempting to listen, though I could not make out any of their words. Soon after, the handle on the door began to wiggle. I snatched a long metal candleholder off of the nightstand next to the bed, clutching it in front of me for protection. Just in case.
     “Oh, good morning!” The stranger beamed at me from the doorway. As she smiled, dimples etched into her rosy cheeks.
     Still holding my weapon close to my body, I examined the child's stance and concluded that she was no threat. Slightly lowering my weapon, she turned and shouted through the door. “She's awake!”


Again, thank you for stopping by. Your support is greatly appreciated.
- Ashley E. Perry

5 comments:

  1. Interesting way to begin the day! A highly intriguing little snippet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's pretty tense! I wonder what happened to make her that way... Love how she thought the kid might be a threat at all--really drives home the paranoia.

    This is a small detail, but I'm a terrible grammar nerd. You have a dangling participle in your last sentence. The subject of the participle (I) needs to begin the phrase after the comma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun twists there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that was awesome! I like how you build the suspense in here.

    ReplyDelete